Driving round in an Iceland camper rental is a nature lover’s dream trip. Doing a campervan Iceland journey is a bucket record journey for a lot of. In any case, one doesn’t go to Iceland to spend all their time in a lodge room, however most don’t wish to courageous the chilly nights in a tent. Nonetheless there are some ideas which might be tremendous useful to know! We’ll break them down for you right here.
The Ring Highway, or Route 1, is the street that circles the complete island nation of Iceland. We’ve talked about this unbelievable journey a number of instances earlier than, however its recognition means we get plenty of requests for extra insights to journey in Iceland.
Exploring Iceland in a campervan is among the greatest methods to sort out the Ring Highway, however you’ll wish to learn a number of Iceland camper rental ideas earlier than you get began.
vital Iceland Camper Rental Tricks to know
Have a Normal Itinerary for Your Campervan Iceland Journey
It’s greatest to set factors you wish to hit in your campervan Iceland journey. Our favourite route is the Ring Highway. The identify of the Ring Highway ought to be fairly self-explanatory. It’s a street that covers round 1,300 kilometers and circumnavigates the entire nation of Iceland. The whole route ought to take about 16 hours if you happen to drive continuous – however who desires to do this?
It’s unattainable to nail the right Ring Highway itinerary. Our largest suggestion is to journey at your personal tempo; it doesn’t matter if you happen to go quick or gradual or if you happen to miss some sights alongside the way in which. Simply so long as you content touring on the tempo you’re going. If you happen to’re in search of an affordable period of time, we’d counsel someplace between one to 2 weeks. We went with ten days, and it felt like a super period of time. It left us wanting extra, however by no means uninterested in the journey.
When planning your itinerary, map out all of your stops. There will likely be loads of unplanned stops alongside the way in which, and it’s greatest to not really feel rushed. We attempt our greatest to keep away from setting our days to a strict timetable as a result of we all know we are going to by no means be completely happy if we try this.
Get the Proper Iceland Camper Rental
One of many first steps in planning your Iceland campervan journey is to find out your rental firm. We drove across the Ring Highway in a Completely satisfied Campers van and liked it. We picked it up within the capital, making it an excellent Reykjavik camper van too.
Completely satisfied Campers is a household run by native Icelanders and you could find the entire household concerned. We have been checked out by the Sverrir or the “Completely satisfied Boss.” Whereas his son was answerable for organising our reserving and one other picked us up from the airport. They’re very a lot a household enterprise wanting to indicate guests the most effective within the nation, and one thing we actually respect.
The van comes with all you can want for a tenting journey in Iceland. It has superior options equivalent to a heater for the chilly nights, operating water sink, and a fridge/freezer. If you wish to be taught extra learn our Completely satisfied Campers evaluation.
Useful Iceland Camper Rental Suggestions
- Handbook vs. Computerized: Be ready to drive a handbook van. Many of the campervans in Iceland are handbook, however there are a number of computerized automobiles. If you happen to do require an computerized automobile, make sure that to e-book properly upfront and anticipate to pay a premium for it.
- Measurement Issues: Think about the dimensions of your Iceland campervan earlier than you e-book. There are a number of completely different dimension choices splendid for one, two, three, and as much as 5 individuals. We went with a Completely satisfied 2 for the 2 of us. The van was spacious and cozy for 2 individuals. Nonetheless, with a bigger campervan in Iceland comes diminished gas economic system, so that you’ll be paying extra for that bigger car in additional methods than one. Fuel is expensive in Iceland, virtually $8 a gallon. Consider carefully in regards to the campervan mannequin you select.
- Insurance coverage points: When testing a campervan in Iceland, you will have plenty of choices for selecting insurance coverage. Completely satisfied Campers embrace CDW as it’s obligatory in Iceland. If you happen to go together with the usual protection, your legal responsibility restrict is €2500. Additionally they supply packages that scale back the waiver, sand harm, and gravel harm. We went with the gravel insurance coverage, however I discovered it to be a waste, because the roads have been nice in Iceland throughout October. Had we traveled in the course of the winter and windier months, I consider it might have come in additional helpful. Additionally, look into what your bank card covers for auto insurance coverage. Most American bank cards supply auto rental insurance coverage as a profit, and I might advocate calling your bank card firm beforehand to double-check what they cowl. If you happen to don’t have a bank card, it’s time to get one because it’s a necessary a part of journey banking.
Maintain the Door in your Iceland Camper Rental
Within the lead as much as our journey to Iceland, we got here from a North Coast 500 street journey in Scotland and a street journey across the Faroe Islands, so we knew what to anticipate.
The North Atlantic and Iceland have some significantly excessive winds. Once you’re exiting your Iceland camper rental make sure that to carry firmly to your automobile door – in any other case it could blow proper off the automobile and that isn’t coated by insurance coverage. We’re not kidding, it occurred to us after we visiting the well-known black sand seaside, Reynisfjara!
Take pleasure in Your Sleep When You Campervan Iceland
Anticipate it to be fairly chilly in Iceland. Our Iceland camper rental had a heater we might run all evening if we wished, and it stored us toasty heat within the brisk Autumn air. If you happen to’re renting an Iceland campervan with no heater otherwise you don’t wish to run the warmth all evening, deliver a heat sleeping bag.
If you happen to’re in search of consolation, I might counsel a down comforter from house. The beds in campervans are agency, so a tenting pad could make all of the distinction. Once you’re able to camp for the evening, make sure that to park the van on the extent floor until you get pleasure from sleeping together with your toes increased than your head.
The important thing right here is to deliver all the things you’re comfy with to make the van really feel like house for the following week or few days. Tip* If you happen to get pleasure from brewed espresso like us, deliver an AeroPress.
Price range for Fuel in your iceland camper rental
Be ready to shell out some cash once you head to the pump in Iceland. Fuel prices practically $2 USD a liter or $8 a gallon. We additionally discovered American bank cards don’t work at most of the pumps. To pay, ensure you ask an attendant to unlock the pump after which pay afterward inside with a bank card. Or you’ll be able to pay with a debit card that has a pin quantity.
Ensure that to pay attention to distances in between gas stations, granted we discovered them throughout Iceland and by no means ran low on gas. For our 10 day itinerary, we spent round $400 on gas – YIKES. Ensure that to funds for this one, because it’s simple to overlook.
There’s No Unhealthy Climate, Simply Unhealthy Garments
Do not forget that you’re touring round Iceland in a campervan. The smallest fashions don’t go away plenty of room for a large checked bag. The plain factor to pack is heat climate clothes. A terrific possibility is to pack a duffel bag or backpack that has tender sides and may be stuffed beneath a seat.
After all, all the time pack a down jacket, sweater, wool socks, and a journey towel. The towel is important if you happen to plan to go to the fabulous Iceland scorching springs and public swimming pools. We now have a submit on what to pack for Iceland if you’d like extra garments suggestions.
It must also go with out saying that Iceland is significantly photogenic, so that you’re going to need an excellent digicam for journey images.
Listed here are some issues we’d advocate to make your campervan extra at house in Iceland.
Keep Organized When You Campervan Iceland
It’s essential to maintain your van organized in your Iceland journey, that is vital in additional methods than one. It received’t take lengthy to determine that free objects within the again have a behavior of shifting in all places. We labored laborious to maintain the again of the van organized so we didn’t lose something.
This meant we might simply entry something and it stored the small area from turning right into a pigsty. Ten days in a van with two individuals it will be simple to let all the things get out of hand.
Additionally, decide up a number of primary cleansing provides like a rag and multi-purpose cleaner. Our van got here with a brush that we used to maintain our flooring clear. With out this, the van would have e been a catastrophe zone.
If it’s your first time tenting, we can’t advocate bamboo child wipes sufficient as they make it simple to maintain your self contemporary. After all, any child wipe will do, however they’re horrible for the surroundings, so attempt to go for biodegradable ones.
Select a Good Campsite
You can’t camp freely in a motorcar in Iceland. It’s required by legislation that you’ve got written permission from the landowner, or in different phrases, a receipt. There are a plethora of campsites round Iceland in the summertime, and Completely satisfied Campers created this map on their web site that can assist you discover one.
Campsites in Iceland are usually respectable with services equivalent to showers, bogs, and generally even WiFi. The vast majority of campsites shut down for the winter although. We drove the Ring Highway in October and located most of the campsite to have already closed on September thirtieth.
The supply of campsites will rely upon the time of 12 months. Touring in October, we discovered it to be hit and miss. The excellent news is that you would be able to nonetheless camp at most websites one year a 12 months free of charge; you simply received’t have entry to services like bogs in the course of the offseason. Keep in mind after I talked about child wipes?
The typical tenting payment ranges from 1000 ISK ($10US) to 2000 ISK ($20 US) per particular person, per evening. Many instances showers should not inclusive and value 300-500ISK for a 3 to five-minute bathe. That’s why we love getting bare in Iceland’s public swimming swimming pools as an alternative.
Eat Good Iceland Tenting Meals!
Natasha and I aren’t any strangers to prepping simple meals, and we’ve gotten higher over time. Campervans in Iceland don’t present a ton of prep area so it’s greatest that you simply persist with easy meals. If you wish to study meals prices we now have outlined them in our information to grocery shops in Iceland.
- Wraps: These are tremendous easy. Cameron made scorching wraps by cooking a stir fry in a pan utilizing vegan hoisin duck, frozen veggies, and mushrooms. Dish it out in some wraps and high with vegan cheese. (You should utilize the actual stuff too!)
- Rice: It’s a staple and discovering a option to make it your personal will take you for miles. We prefer to high our rice with peas, corn, avocado, eggs, and a candy Thai chili sauce. (There are a whole lot of variations of this!)
- Soup: We like to make soup as a result of it’s scrumptious, requires one pot, and it fills you up. For a simple and wholesome soup, Cameron recommends the next: Saute onions in a pot till translucent, add mushrooms, tomatoes, vegetable inventory (bouillon cubes to save lots of area), rice, potatoes, carrots, and season with paprika. If you happen to’re a meat-eater cook dinner it first with the onions. The important thing to a soup is layering flavors and letting it simmer for a very long time.
- Pancakes: Who doesn’t love pancakes? They’re lifeless easy and once you high them with peanut butter they’ll maintain you going for hours. For tenting, we propose the premade combine from the shop.
- Pasta: Roasted pink pepper, pesto, avocado, or mushroom stroganoff there are numerous variations of pasta you can also make. We love to combine them with frozen veggies when tenting in Iceland. Recent produce is pricey in Iceland!
Once you take a campervan round Iceland BYOB – significantly. Newsflash! Iceland is pricey and alcohol prices are obscene. A bottle of the funds vodka Smirnoff prices $70. You might be permitted to deliver a bottle of your personal booze into the nation, so we got here ready with an excellent bottle of gin from the U.Okay.
If you happen to’re fearful in regards to the weight or a bottle breaking your subsequent possibility is to buy alcohol on the Airport in duty-free earlier than you enter the nation. Outdoors of duty-free shops on the airport, you’ll be able to solely buy alcohol on the state-run shops referred to as Vinbudin.
Campervan Iceland within the Proper Season
There isn’t precisely the most effective time to go to Iceland, however there’s the most effective time for every traveler. It’s about managing expectations and understanding what to anticipate. It’s a nation recognized for having plenty of wind, rain, and snow, so it’s not all the time going to be sunshine and excellent days.
Typically, if you wish to see snow and the Northern Lights place to campervan Iceland from October – February. If you would like lengthy days and extra gentle climate go in between the months of April to September. Simply be warned the summer season months are excessive season and all the things together with campervan leases in Iceland will value extra.
Don’t Overlook Journey Insurance coverage
The extra we journey the extra we respect having journey insurance coverage. Journey journey, climbing, safari, snowboarding, and driving in overseas nations include an inherent danger. With the price of healthcare and danger of needing medical evacuation we all the time carry journey insurance coverage.
Dependable journey insurance coverage covers you past well being as it could cowl rental vehicles, missed flights, journey cancellations, and extra. Our advice is to select up a coverage with World Nomads as they’re wonderful at medium – short-term plans. That is important on your campervan Iceland journey.
Obtain a Good Journey Playlist
Be ready for some lengthy drives and loads of time on the street. If you happen to’re in search of an excellent journey playlist or music we’ve bought you coated. Simply ensure you obtain all of your music to your cellphone as you could not all the time have a connection.
Get a Journey Credit score Card
Have we talked about Iceland is pricey? Iceland is a bank card nation, and we bought by virtually our complete journey with out utilizing money. Ensure that to select up an honest rewards bank card in an effort to earn miles, factors, and even cashback in your purchases right here. It’s the small bills which might be key to our success in saving for journey.
Useful Iceland Camper Rental Journey Suggestions
- Icelanders converse Icelandic, however each single particular person I got here throughout spoke English.
- The native forex is the Icelandic króna (ISK). ATM’s are discovered all through the nation
- Iceland is among the most secure nations on this planet; nonetheless, it’s all the time vital to make use of frequent sense when strolling alone at evening.
- Tipping will not be customary in Iceland.
- Iceland has a robust web infrastructure and you need to be capable of simply keep linked.