Good morning. This text is an on-site model of our FirstFT publication. Signal as much as our Asia, Europe/Africa or Americas version to get it despatched straight to your inbox each weekday morning
The UK will put itself on a collision course with Brussels as we speak by unveiling a set of calls for that might overhaul post-Brexit buying and selling preparations between Nice Britain and Northern Eire.
Lord David Frost, Cupboard Workplace minister, will define what officers referred to as a “wholesale change of method” that seeks to eradicate a lot of the checks on the Irish Sea commerce border that got here into pressure in January.
In a warning that Britain might droop the Northern Eire protocol if the EU doesn’t give method, Frost will declare the UK is already inside its rights to activate the Article 16 override clause within the settlement.
The brand new UK place is prone to infuriate Brussels. Underneath the phrases of the Northern Eire protocol agreed by Johnson in 2019 to keep away from the return of a tough border in Eire, all items shipped from Nice Britain to the area should comply with the EU’s guidelines for customs and agrifood merchandise.
5 extra tales within the information
1. Jeff Bezos touches area The Amazon founder-turned-private area entrepreneur reached the decrease reaches of area early yesterday after a sequence of lengthy delays. He thanked “each Amazon worker, and each Amazon buyer, since you guys paid for all this”. Blue Origin’s profitable mission was a second to savour however Elon Musk’s SpaceX stays streets forward.
“All polluting trade will transfer off Earth, and Earth will find yourself zoned residential.” — Jeff Bezos
2. Trump ally charged with illegally performing as UAE agent Tom Barrack, former chief government of Colony Capital who was certainly one of Donald Trump’s earliest supporters in his 2016 presidential marketing campaign, has been arrested and charged with illegally performing as an agent of the United Arab Emirates.
3. UBS launches portfolio for women-led hedge funds The Swiss financial institution’s asset administration arm has launched a portfolio that invests solely in hedge funds led by girls in an effort to enhance range and spot expertise within the male-dominated sector. Feminine illustration in hedge funds, at 18.6 per cent, is the second-lowest throughout seven various asset lessons.
4. Netflix sheds subscribers The streaming group misplaced 430,000 subscribers within the US and Canada within the second quarter and issued weaker than anticipated forecasts, rekindling investor doubts about how the market chief will fare after the financial reopening from the pandemic.
5. US envoy: China should reduce emissions Beijing should cut back emissions this decade if the planet is to keep away from local weather “chaos”, US local weather envoy John Kerry informed the Monetary Occasions as he issued a stark evaluation that the world was falling brief on its environmental pledges.
Learn extra: Local weather change has arrived in China, with unseasonably excessive temperatures over 35C contributing to the worst energy scarcity in a decade.
Wall Avenue clawed again losses yesterday from a international rout a day earlier.
Blood pattern checks in Italy have revived a debate over whether or not coronavirus was circulating in Europe as early as October 2019, earlier than Chinese language authorities confirmed the primary case in Wuhan.
China’s dedication to reaching zero Covid circumstances means most of its residents will most likely stay reduce off from the world till the year-end and even into 2022.
Myanmar’s circumstances have greater than doubled each week. The state of affairs is especially deadly due to public distrust of the army regime.
The Delta variant accounts for greater than 80 per cent of recent circumstances within the US, well being officers stated. Republican voters much less doubtless than Democrats to get a jab. Right here’s why.
The 1m kids who’ve misplaced a father or mother within the pandemic want pressing authorities help or they face long-term hurt, writes Seth Flaxman, a senior lecturer at Imperial Faculty London. Observe our reside coronavirus weblog and join for our Coronavirus Enterprise Replace publication for extra.
The day forward
Earnings Johnson & Johnson, which is a part of a proposed $26bn settlement to resolve claims that it helped gas the opioid disaster, releases second-quarter outcomes as we speak. The group final month agreed a $230m settlement with New York state to settle related claims.
Additionally reporting earnings: Coca-Cola, Dutch chip gear provider ASML, which lately earned prime billing as a local weather chief by MSCI, Verizon, software program and companies supplier SAP, United Airways, Daimler, Harley-Davidson, Novartis and Akzo Nobel.
What else we’re studying
Europe’s costly chip plan The EU is looking for to launch itself into the worldwide premier league of semiconductor manufacturing, setting a objective of doubling its share of the worldwide chip market by 2030. However will it find yourself squandering public cash chasing geopolitical ambitions that is probably not supported by industrial and market logic?
It’s time to embrace central financial institution digital currencies How ought to central banks reply to digital know-how? The reply is partly that they and governments should get a grip on the wild west of personal cash. However they have to introduce digital currencies of their very own, argues Martin Wolf.
How Israel used NSO adware as diplomatic calling card The Israeli firm assailed by rights activists for promoting military-grade surveillance software program to repressive regimes performed a vital position in its authorities’s makes an attempt to woo international locations such because the UAE, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia, revealing the tech unicorn’s shut ties with the very best echelons of the Israeli state.
Company values should transcend buzzwords Official statements of company values are sometimes a maddening mixture of hokum and gibberish. Integrity, innovation, respect, duty and sustainability topped the listing of fashionable buzzwords over the previous two years. Brooke Masters suspects their recognition lies in the truth that they’re extraordinarily laborious to measure.
We are able to now not say floods are an act of God Western residents have come to consider the worst floods as taking place elsewhere, within the growing world. However the fashionable metropolis, a fortress of tarmac and concrete, marvel of recent civil engineering, has left us with a false sense of safety. That dam may be about to burst, writes Pleasure Lo Dico.
With regards to summer time fits, creased is the phrase As with many issues, the summer time go well with is heading for reinvention. Nicholas Foulkes explains how males are embracing the post-lockdown artwork of informal dressing up.
Beneficial newsletters for you
Swamp Notes — Skilled perception on the intersection of cash and energy in US politics. Enroll right here
Commerce Secrets and techniques — A must-read on the altering face of worldwide commerce and globalisation. Enroll right here