Signal as much as myFT Every day Digest to be the primary to find out about World information.
Good morning. This text is an on-site model of our FirstFT e-newsletter. Signal as much as our Asia, Europe/Africa or Americas version to get it despatched straight to your inbox each weekday morning
How properly did you retain up with the information this week? Take our quiz.
Amazon’s income rose within the second quarter however fell in need of Wall Road’s lofty expectations, regardless that the ecommerce large elevated its general earnings by 50 per cent in contrast with the identical interval final 12 months.
Internet revenue for the three months from April to June got here in at $7.8bn, or $15.12 per diluted share, comfortably beating analysts’ expectations of $6.4bn.
Revenues elevated 27 per cent from final 12 months to $113bn, falling in need of forecasts for round $115bn, in accordance with consensus knowledge from FactSet.
The income miss comes regardless of Amazon bringing ahead its flagship Prime Day gross sales occasion in order that it fell within the second quarter. Shares fell by greater than 5 per cent in after-hours buying and selling.
5 extra tales within the information
1. US financial progress weaker than anticipated US financial progress rose barely within the second quarter to six.5 per cent on an annualised foundation, a weaker-than-expected improve as robust consumption was partially offset by lagging property investments and stock drawdowns.
2. Robinhood shares stumble in buying and selling debut The favored app that introduced fee-free buying and selling to tens of millions of Individuals noticed lacklustre investor demand on its buying and selling debut. Shares opened at $38 apiece, the underside of a goal vary marketed to patrons in its preliminary public providing earlier than dropping as a lot as 12 per cent to $33.35 at noon in New York.
3. China seeks to ease worldwide investor fears Regulators in Beijing held a name with executives from world buyers, Wall Road banks and Chinese language monetary teams Wednesday night time, in accordance with three individuals accustomed to the matter, to ease considerations after robust new restrictions on non-public training firms despatched shockwaves by means of markets. Information of the decision boosted Chinese language shares at present.
In associated information: SoftBank is promoting a big chunk of its stake in ride-hailing group Uber because the world’s most aggressive expertise investor wrestles with heavy losses from a giant wager on China’s Didi Chuxing.
4. Nikola founder charged with making false statements Trevor Milton has been charged by US federal prosecutors with deceptive buyers in regards to the electrical truck start-up’s merchandise and expertise. Milton, who stepped down as chair of Nikola final 12 months, entered a plea of not responsible and was launched on $100m bail.
5. Scarlett Johansson sues Disney The US actress has sued Disney, accusing the Marvel proprietor of breaching her contract by releasing the Black Widow movie in cinemas and on its streaming service on the identical day, miserable box-office gross sales.
Tokyo Olympics round-up
Japan has gained two Olympic golds in skateboarding, an exercise formally banned in many of the nation’s public areas, amid a battle over the game’s future.
China stormed to victory within the girls’s 4 x 200m freestyle relay, main from the begin to end to put up a world file time of seven:40.33.
Reigning pole vault world champion Sam Kendricks pulled out of the Video games after testing constructive for Covid-19. Rival vaulter Germán Chiaraviglio from Argentina was additionally pressured to withdraw after a constructive take a look at.
American gymnast Sunisa Lee took dwelling gold within the Olympic all-around occasion after a tumultuous 12 months that at one level made her wish to give up.
Rugby union is in search of to capitalise on its Olympic reputation by beginning discussions for personal fairness funding price lots of of tens of millions of kilos. (FT, AP)
Add ‘Tokyo Olympics’ to myFT for all our protection from the Video games, and don’t miss our “various medals desk”.
The day forward
Japan industrial manufacturing The nation’s manufacturing unit output figures shall be launched at present. In Could, a pointy fall in automotive manufacturing spurred Japan’s greatest month-to-month industrial manufacturing drop in a 12 months — a lack of 5.9 per cent in contrast with April. (FT, Reuters)
US oil majors report earnings Exxon and Chevron are each anticipated to unveil bumper second-quarter earnings after they report on Friday. Keep updated on the sector’s newest information with our Vitality Supply e-newsletter. Join right here.
Eurozone GDP Knowledge out Friday is anticipated to indicate that the eurozone’s GDP elevated at its quickest price in 20 years, however there are fears governments might reduce assist too quickly.
Join for our Coronavirus Enterprise Replace e-newsletter and get the newest on our weblog.
What else we’re studying
Extra questions than solutions in a Hong Kong courtroom The thriller of a mob assault on commuters and pro-democracy protesters remains to be beneath scrutiny two years later, writes Nicolle Liu. No mastermind has been recognized and solely eight attackers have been delivered to courtroom, regardless of 1000’s of arrests of pro-democracy activists.
Music labels break up over Spotify royalty plan In direction of the top of final 12 months, Spotify started asking file firms to take part in “Discovery Mode”, by means of which Spotify prioritises an artist’s songs on choose music feeds in change for decreased royalties. But to this point the response from the most important labels has ranged from lip service to staunch opposition.
Republicans have turn out to be the social gathering of nihilism The social gathering as an entire now has one fact, which is no matter Donald Trump says, even whether it is completely different after breakfast than earlier than, writes Edward Luce. The finality of Trump’s possession turned clear this week on the listening to into the January 6 assault on Capitol Hill. Learn extra from Edward in our Swamp Notes e-newsletter. Join right here.
Lebanon’s 12 months from hell A blast in Lebanon’s port on August 4 2020 killed greater than 200 individuals, injured 1000’s and triggered some $4bn price of harm. It ought to have been a nadir for Lebanon. As an alternative, it was the start of an extra fall, a year-long plunge into financial chaos, writes Chloe Cornish, who lives a mile from the place the blast passed off.
‘A Tesla for each referral’ Prior to now 18 months, no less than 69 start-ups have raised some $7bn to start shopping for up profitable Amazon sellers, within the hope of constructing a group of high manufacturers. Some, like Acquco are resorting to gimmicks, providing a Tesla for every referred enterprise it acquires to assist it stand out.
Really helpful newsletters for you
Swamp Notes — Skilled perception on the intersection of cash and energy in US politics. Join right here
Commerce Secrets and techniques — A must-read on the altering face of worldwide commerce and globalisation. Join right here