Season 6 winner of Final Braai Grasp, Corné Bornman – affectionately referred to as “Borries” says with the near-death of the hospitality business because of the pandemic, he has been spending extra time than ever in entrance of the hearth. It additionally gave him time to good his new line of braai spices and sauces, referred to as, Brafia obtainable on-line from the Brafia Fb web page for those who need to replicate the flavours at house.
Right here is his recipe for a Mac & Cheese Stuffed Hen served with Rooibos-infused & Brafia BBQ Garbanzo Beans, Brinjal Chips, Fireplace Roasted Butternut, and Deep-fried Leeks.
Entire rooster, contemporary – debone the chest cavity out, legs and wings bones intact. Season meat facet with Brafia Gin Rub and put aside for stuffing.
· 40g butter
· 20g flour
· 250 ml milk
· 100 ml cream
· Salt and pepper and a pinch of nutmeg
· 1 bunch leeks – trim roots, slice white part and wash completely. Thinly julienne darker high part, rinse, dry and deep fry at 160 C until golden and crispy.
· 250 ml grated cheese
· 250 g macaroni – simmered with salted water until mushy.
1. Sauté sliced whites of leeks in butter, add flour and cook dinner for 1 minute, add milk and cream in a gradual stream whereas stirring to dissolve the flour. Deliver to a simmer, season and funky down. Add the grated cheese and add to the cooked Macaroni.
2. Fill the deboned cavity of the rooster with the combination and tie it up in order that it stays inside whereas cooking.
3. Prepare dinner scorching and quick 150 – 160 ºC with an offset hearth in your hearth oven of selection until cooked to an inside temp of 72 ºC.
· 500 g garbanzo beans (chickpeas) soaked in water in a single day – cook dinner until tender in 1.5 l salted water with 2 baggage Rooibos tea and put aside.
· 100 g butter
· 250 ml Brafia Braai Grasp Sauce – froth butter and toast garbanzo beans until golden brown, add sauce and cooked until glazed
· Butternut, peeled, halved, seeded and seasoned – add some contemporary herbs, drizzle with olive oil, season and wrap in foil. Prepare dinner on facet of fireside until tender. Brown over coals if color shouldn’t be nice but.
· Brinjal – thinly sliced, deep-fried until golden brown, seasoned.
· Lower and take away strings across the rooster and organize all of the objects for serving.
Recipe courtesy of Corné “Borries” Bornman
Image: Marius Henning