The Residents Take Over Europe coalition (CTOE) is addressing the EU establishments for the Convention on the Way forward for Europe by means of an open letter to Chancellor Angela Merkel, Presidents of the European Parliament and of the Fee and an official Petition to the European Parliament to open a co-creation course of for the Convention on the Way forward for Europe.
As said in the letter, the EU is at a crossroads in its historical past: the necessity for the European Union to rework right into a social, sustainable, inclusive and democratic, and citizen-led challenge is larger than ever earlier than. Residents and civil society organisations from throughout Europe, name on key political figures to make true the promise of the proposed Convention on the Way forward for Europe to information the EU out of the various crises with which it’s confronted.
Pricey Ms. Merkel,
Pricey Mr. Sassoli,
Pricey Ms. von der Leyen,
We’re writing to you on the outset of what we hope might be a historic semester of the European Union. The EU is at a crossroads in its historical past: the necessity for the European Union to rework right into a social, sustainable, democratic, and citizen-led challenge is larger than ever earlier than. That is why we, residents and civil society organisations from throughout Europe, are calling on you to make true the promise of the proposed Convention on the Way forward for Europe to information the EU out of the various crises with which it’s confronted.
The Way forward for Europe is underneath resolution proper now: the “Subsequent Technology EU” Restoration Fund will double the EU price range to alleviate the continued penalties of the COVID-19 pandemic, and strengthen European solidarity in direction of a deeper political Union, doubtlessly affecting each facet of the EU’s motion. The controversy on using the largest restoration fund in EU historical past can’t happen solely behind the closed doorways of the Council. Whereas we urge you to agree on a daring and impressive financial response as quickly as attainable, we recognise that the relaunch of Europe can’t solely be financial – it should even be democratic. Due to its historic significance, a civic debate on using funds and the long-term reforms wanted ought to be integral to the premise on which to convene the Convention on the Way forward for Europe, and new mechanisms for residents to take part in an ongoing approach within the governance of the EU ought to be explored.
Accordingly, we name on you to:
– Urgently decide to a timetable for the Convention on the Way forward for Europe, and have interaction civil society to co-design an empowering format for the Convention from the bottom-up, by means of which residents really feel possession.
– Guarantee full democratic legitimacy by placing residents centre-stage within the discussions in any respect phases, make particular efforts to contain minorities and youth, and firmly anchor civil society’s function within the Convention’s construction. Residents should not solely be consulted but in addition be contributors, even by means of randomly chosen Residents’ Assemblies.
– Pledge to follow-up to any vital reforms really helpful by the Convention, together with the potential for treaty change.
The necessity for transnational collaboration and supranational motion is larger than ever earlier than. The EU is going through multi-faceted unprecedented challenges: COVID-19 and its socio-economic implications, the local weather disaster, Brexit and international geopolitical instability. These challenges can solely be overcome if residents are given a job in addressing them. The Convention on the Way forward for Europe affords one of the best alternative to develop this shared possession amongst residents, civil society, Member States, and EU establishments. But it surely must be designed, carried out, executed, and followed-up correctly as a way to obtain the meant impact.
If the Convention on the Way forward for Europe turns right into a public relations train reasonably than an actual and substantial try to usher in residents’ nearer to the EU, the Convention will feed the narrative of the EU’s democratic deficit. To stop this, the Convention should be rigorously designed, guaranteeing an open, clear, inclusive, and participatory course of, together with a transparent function for civil society, and there should be a powerful dedication for significant implementation of its end result.
If the Convention has the mandatory democratic character, we, as European civil society organisations, stand able to make a constructive contribution to it, and to mobilise residents throughout Europe to do the identical.
We rely on you to make this new period of European participation certainly one of new beginnings.
Thanks for taking vital steps to make the democratic way forward for Europe a precedence.
The Residents Take Over Europe alliance and supporting companions
*Please click on right here to learn our 10 ideas for a citizens-centered Convention on the way forward for Europe.
Residents Take Over Europe alliance
- One other Europe is Potential
- CIVICO Europa
- Co-Creating Europe
- Democracy Worldwide e.V.
- European Options
- European Civic Discussion board
- European Democracy Lab
- European Home
- Europe, a affected person
- Fórum dos Cidadãos
- Mehr Demokratie e.V.
- mehr demokratie! Österreich
- Music Theater Worldwide
- New Europeans
- Pulse of Europe
- Take a Break from Brexit
- The ECI Marketing campaign
- The Good Foyer
- WeMove Europe
- ACI – Centro InterCulturaCidade
- Affiliation of Licensed Business Diplomats
- Associazione Luca Coscioni per la libertà di ricercar scientifica
- Basisdemokratie jetzt
- Bridging Europe
- Bundesnetzwerk Bürgerschafliches Engagement (BBE)
- Christians for Future Berlin
- Christians for Future Germany
- Residents for Europe
- CROSOL – Croatian Platform for Worldwide Citizen Solidarity
- CUBE. Your Tackle Europe e.V.
- Cultural Range Coalition
- Tradition Options Europe
- European Residents’ Rights, Involvement and Belief Basis (ECIT Basis)
- eCivis, asociacion para la promocion de la ciudadania lively
- EFF – European Future Discussion board
- Interact Liverpool
- Europa Repubblica
- Europa-Union Hochtaunus e.V.
- Europa-Zentrum Potsdam
- Europe Direct Informationszentrum
- European Motion Italy
- European Partnership for Democracy
- EuroPeers Maastricht
- Basis Open Society Macedonia
- Pals of the European Republic
- Pals of the Homeless, Dublin
- Fundació Aroa
- Think about Europe
- Institute of Public Affairs Poland
- Lodzkie Dziewuchy Dziewuchom
- Mediation Hub BG Affiliation
- Mother and father for Future Berlin
- PHILEUROPA Deutschland – Fileuropa Italia
- Pulse of Europe Berlin
- Pulse of Europe Fulda
- Pulse of Europe Munich
- Pulse of Europe Toulouse
- Science for Democracy
- Sortition Basis
- Stati Generali delle Donne
- Transition City Saarbrücken
- YMCA Albania